It had been a while since we'd all been together, so I happily accepted the invite. When I was asked what time I could make it out there, I suggested 10am (which might as well be 5am for me. I am NOT a morning person). My friend responded that her son naps at noon, and asked if we could come at 9? 9! NINE in the MORNING (4am my time)! Ugh. It's a good thing the tone of your voice doesn't often come through when you send a text. I signed heavily as I typed back what was a very straight-forward, yet upbeat reply. I told her that we could certainly shoot for 9, but that I am notorious for being slow in the morning! I told her that we'd be there as close to 9 as possible (I knew darn well it would be after 9:30!). Fortunately, she laughed and said that sounded great. Phew!
So, when last night rolled around, and I literally fell into bed because I was so exhausted, I couldn't push away the feelings of complete and utter disgust I had towards the thought of getting up at 6:30am. I tried to be excited about the play date itself, but the whole awful process of making it there, was clouding my brain.
When my alarm went off at 6:30 this morning, I promptly hit "snooze" and rolled back over. I stayed in bed until Zoey cried out at 7. Once Michael was free to watch her for a few minutes, I jumped in the shower, leaned up against the shower wall for a minute or two, and then actually started bathing myself. By the time my shower was over, I had embraced the fact that I was up and had a mission to accomplish: Leave the house by 8; 8:30 at the latest!
Once Zoey and I were both dressed (pants and a onsie for her; no time to mull over which cute little tights to put with which adorable little dress), I stuffed some snacks in our lunchbox and we rushed out the door. I was a bit disappointed to see that it was already 8:36, but I was just glad we were on our way! My GPS gave me an arrival time of 9:57, but I knew I could do better than that! ;)
**Side note: I love Zoey for many, many reasons, and one that stands out every time we get into the car, is the fact that I get to drive in the carpool lane because of her!! I always smile every time I hit the freeway and remember that or factor it into my drive time before we even leave the house. What a blessing children are!!**
When we finally made it to our destination, it was 9:38! Booyah! The carpool lane, and my "Batman In The Batmobile"-like driving skills (PLUS all of the government workers who didn't partake in today's rush hour commute, due to the government being shut down), made "quick" work out of that long drive.
As soon as we stepped into my friend's beautiful new home, all of the stress washed away, and we were greeted with hugs and squealing toddlers. Zoey walked right in, as if she knew where she was going, and started engaging with the other children. Mommy Bliss! :)
Content Pirate
Irritated (Sick of the camera) Pirate!
All eyes were on the landscapers as they came through and mowed the lawns.
We usually forget to get a picture with all of the kids, so all of us were adamant about getting one this time. The kids...didn't really care about what we wanted.
Umm, no. Not gonna cut it!
Out of all the ones we took, this one was the best.
Still, so precious!
Zoey and Stella were holding it down for the ladies today! :)
Due to all of the fun the kids were having (and us chatty mommies, too) we visited just past noon, when a few of the kiddos were supposed to be napping. Zoey and I usually have lunch at around 12:30, so we did hit the road so we could make it to my mom's before her nap time. It only took about 20 minutes to get to my mom's (I always love getting to visit friends and family when I head that far North!) and the leftover meatloaf I brought, was heated up within minutes of us walking in the door.
After lunch, Zoey was noticeably exhausted, but she didn't want to part with her Granny to take a nap. I can't blame her! At Granny's house, she gets to sprawl out on the table while she watches videos of herself on the iPhone and soaks up as many back rubs and snuggles as is humanly possible! What a spoiled little thing! *rolls eyes*
These pictures seriously crack me up!! She started out on my lap while she was eating her lunch. Then, she crawled across the table to see what was on my mom's phone. Eventually, she was sprawled out, making video requests, and getting her back rubbed. Ha! To be a toddler again! :)
As always, we had a great time with my mom. Even though Zoey only napped for an hour, we were happy to have her rejoin us. And when we left during what would typically be the start of rush hour, again, (due, undeniably, to the government shut down), the drive was totally bearable! What a great day!
**Please, don't get me wrong...despite my speedy drive times today, I would absolutely prefer that my mom, and all of the other innocent people affected by the shutdown, was at work today. Where she's supposed to be...where she wants to be...







No comments:
Post a Comment