Friday, March 15, 2013

Cake Practice

From the moment I started planning Zoey's birthday party, I knew I wanted her to have a giant cupcake for a birthday cake. It was a pure stroke of luck when I found this Big Top Cupcake silicon mold at Bed Bath and Beyond, on clearance, for $5.99! Because Zoey's birthday cake is the first cake I will make from scratch, as well as my first silicon mold cake experience, I wanted to do a trial run with the recipe I found on the baby food website. The cake I made today is actually my second attempt at using this mold and a "from scratch" cake recipe. My first trial run was with an apple spice cake, and because the apples contained so much liquid, the cake never fully set up in the mold! So, today's recipe is another "apple" recipe, but I only used applesauce and left out the apple chunks.


Lookin' good!

Looks pretty funny before the halves get leveled.

Ta-da!

Not only was today a trial run on the baking process, but it was also a taste testing day for Zoey. It was her first time having most of the cake ingredients (flour, eggs, sugar, baking powder, etc.), and I wanted to be sure that if she had any type of reaction, we found out before the day of her party!

the cake was a little dry and crumbly, but it had a great flavor.

Dry + crumbly= a fun mess!

Some crumbs snuck past the highchair tray and her bib, and still made it to her lap.
Oh well, what are ya gonna do?

She had a little more cake with her dinner. Don't let the scrunchy face fool you; she loved it!

"All done?"...

"Nope, not yet. Gotta slurp up this last little bit!"

No comments:

Post a Comment