Today was "Mom & Me at the Zoo" day, at Woodland Park Zoo! I had been dying to take Zoey on her first zoo visit, and today felt like the perfect occasion! In honor of Mother's Day (tomorrow) there were a few different talks/demonstrations focused around mommy and baby animals, as well as fun, family-friendly activities on the zoo's lawn.
Snack: Check! Excitement: Check!
Let the fun begin!
"Smile, Zoey! We're at the zoo!"
Checking out two of my favorites: giraffes and zebras!
She appeared to really be looking at them and aware that they were moving.
More concerned with Daddy's hat than with picture taking...
Free ride, with a view!
Such beautiful creatures!!
Lion Cubs!
I'm not sure exactly when they were born, but we had to do a double-take because they were so big; we weren't sure if they were actually cubs!
Mommy's other favorite: Elephants!
She was definitely aware of these big guys! She was waving...and barking!
Any time she saw an animal that made a sound she couldn't immediately recall, she resorted to barking :)
Taking it all in
What a pretty home! I just hope all of the animals are truly happy with their accommodations; I always have mixed feelings when I visit the zoo. This big guy sure looked content though :)
As soon as I saw that this was a bear, and that it was brown, I naturally broke into song:
"Brown Bear, Brown Bear, what do you see?
I see a little girl looking at me!"...
My family was not impressed.
"Hi!"
Beautiful Snow Leopards
On our trek through the zoo, we eventually made our way to the big lawn. We decided to take a "play break" and see what activities were being offered. Unfortunately, Zoey was too young for many of the activities (bouncy house, rock climbing wall, arts and crafts projects...) and showed no signs of sitting still for the upcoming puppet show. Thankfully, she had a great time trotting through the grass, and Mike followed her around while I scoured the different vendors for samples!
She fell down in the grass, which she doesn't like to touch, but surprised us when she got up on her own and moved right along! :)
Unstoppable!
Once Mike and I finished our free chocolate chip cookies and ice-cold chocolate milk, it was back to the animals...
This lion was busy gnawing on a gnarly looking animal bone!
Please ignore the weird proportions in this picture, and check out my child's face: Ecstatic
(Not!)
I think maybe she was grossed out by the lion's bloody snack, too!
More interested in the rocks on the ground, than the animals behind the glass...
Thanks, Mr. Animal-Information-Dispenser-Guy (who claimed to also be a photographer), for offering to take a family photo.
We all got quite a kick out of the penguins!
I think they liked Zoey.
A couple of them kept diving down, in the same spot each time, right in front of her :)
Gorgeous sleeping jaguar.
Look at the size of that paw!
These gorilla were hilarious! They were sleeping when we first walked up, and even when they woke up, they couldn't have cared less about us!
This one rolled over to give us a better view of her giant belly!
I'm guessing it's a "she" by it's stretched out breasts, which were tucked under it's armpits! LOL
Not even shy about picking his nose in front of strangers! :)
I wasn't sure how she was going to take to these big statues, but she loved them.
Shaking hands
Showing the baby "gentle" :)
Going for a ride!
We had such a great time at the zoo; I can't wait to go back! I'm also looking forward to trying out the Point Defiance Zoo, which is a lot closer to our house.
Although we probably saw enough for one day, I was a bit bummed that we had to end our trip a little early, in order to make it to a birthday party. Michael's coworker's daughter had her 2nd birthday party today, so we swung by the house, changed our clothes and then hit the road again.
The Elmo/Sesame Street themed party was fun and the birthday girl really took to Zoey. She kept giving her hugs, and she even snuck in a few kisses (despite Zoey trying her best to push her away!) I think they definitely have a future as friends though; other than the kissing, they got along great.
Ready to [birthday] par-tay!
Our weekends have been incredibly busy lately and Zoey has been such a trooper!


No comments:
Post a Comment