Today I had to go to an all day modeling job, and was beyond nervous to leave Zoey behind. Michael's sister, Diane, was kind enough to agree to watch Zoey for the first half of the day (7:30 to noon), until Michael arrived home early from work. Zoey has never been babysat by anyone other than my mom, so this was a big step for me...er..I mean, her! Diane has tons of experience babysitting her nephews, so I wasn't worried about her abilities; it was just the fact that she's new to caring for Zoey, and dealing with me as a mama! ;)
Last night, I stayed up late doing laundry, pumping milk, and writing Diane a three and a half page letter/instruction manual. I was praying that she wasn't going to take offence to the fact that I was laying out some seemingly self-explanatory things, but I HAD TO do it, for my own peace of mind. I knew I was going to be gone when she arrived this morning (had to leave at 6:30 to get downtown by 8!), so I wouldn't have the chance to "brief" her in person.
I made my goodbyes quick this morning and hopped in my car. I listened to Zoey's Caspar Babypants and Raffi CDs the whole drive, as I tried not to think of different things that could go wrong back at home.
"If Diane takes her outside, she might not be prepared for how quickly Zoey picks up rocks and puts them in her mouth! She might CHOKE!"
"What if Diane turns her back [to throw the diaper away], not expecting Zoey to stand up on the changing table, and she jumps off?!"
Zoey has yet to choke on a rock, but she does sneak them into her mouth very quickly, and I had myself convinced that today was going to be the day she choked! She is also very quick to stand up on the changing table and has, in fact, lunged off of it before (fortunately I was right there to catch her!!) Ahh, overwhelming mommy anxiety!
I sighed a huge sigh of relief when, less than an hour into the shoot, I received a reassuring text message and beautiful picture of my baby girl! She was doing just fine; eating her breakfast and enjoying her aunt's company :)
Aunt Diane LOVES Scrunchy Face! :)
I got a few more texts before Diane's shift was over, and I am still so grateful for the wonderful job she did with Zoey! Apparently, she didn't cry or fuss, and was accepting of the fact that her aunt would not, and could not, nurse her! Once Mike got home, he sent me a cute picture as well, with the caption "She survived!"
Silly Daddy, wearing Zoey's sun hat!
Yeah, I'd say she did more than survive! When I got home, she and Michael were in the front yard, and as I excitedly approached her for a hug, she smiled, but then took a step back! I couldn't believe it! She didn't want me to pick her up; she wanted to stay with Daddy and carry on with the fun. I scooped her up anyway and gave her a big hug and kiss. Once she realized that I wasn't taking her away (inside), she showed me a little more love. Sheesh!
Protecting her ears from the sound of the lawn mower
Reunited!
I was so glad to be home in time for dinner. The shoot wrapped up much earlier than I had anticipated, and I was thrilled!
I was so excited when Michael told me a package had arrived from my good friend Tebria and her family. Her 3-year-old son helped pick out a birthday outfit for Zoey, and I couldn't wait to try it on her!
Before I could get the cute plaid shorts on her...
Also in the box, was a jumper and a Disney Princesses sippy cup!
She now has her very own cup with a straw!
Overall, I think everyone had a great day, and the takeaway for me was: "She didn't choke!" aka "She'll be okay" :)





No comments:
Post a Comment