Zoey woke up pretty early this morning (5:50ish), so after I nursed her, I brought her back to bed with me. Because we had an appointment with the pediatrician today, Michael was still in bed as well, instead of preparing to head off to work. It was so sweet to sleep for a little while longer, all three of us, warm and cozy together.
Zoey's 12 month wellness visit went very well! She weighs 21 lb 8.5 oz and is 2 feet 7 inches tall (she's in the 94.68th percentile for height!). She hadn't gained as much weight since her last visit as the doctor was anticipating (he even asked if she had been sick recently), so our take away from this visit is "More Food". The fact that she is still breastfed, combined with how mobile/active she is, has kept her weight pretty steady on the growth chart. So, it is my job to make sure she consistently eats food for breakfast, lunch and dinner, with a couple snacks in between. Before today's appointment, it wasn't uncommon for her breakfast to be spread out over 3 or 4 different morning nursing sessions, and then she'd have food for lunch before she nursed again. She has always been a pretty good afternoon snacker and never has problems finishing her dinner. But, if the doc says more food, then more food it is!
(When Zoey first started eating solid foods, the advice was to nurse her and then feed her foods, to ensure she was getting enough to eat. Now, I have been instructed to try to feed her food first, and if she still wants milk after that, then that's fine. Not only should this get her eating more, but it might help jumpstart the self-weaning process :)
Getting her teeth checked.
(Isn't her doctor kinda handsome?! Shhh, don't tell Mike! He already thinks that's part of the reason why I chose him! Lol)
My poor baby had to get two shots (one was a combo) and have some blood drawn. It was the drawing of the blood (to check for anemia and possible iron deficiency) that was the toughest to watch. She has become such a champ with the shots, but having a needle stuck in her vein for multiple seconds, was almost more than all three of us could handle. For some reason they couldn't just do the usual poke of the figure and dab the blood on the test strip. They needed a bigger sample and I swear, Michael was about to lose it, watching his baby girl cry out and try to wiggle free the way she did. I had the unfortunate task of holding her while the technicians worked, and everything in me told me it was wrong to force her arms down and allow them to poke her. It was definitely not the highlight of my day!
After the appointment, we said our goodbye's to Daddy and then headed to Costco. Early morning appointments usually always lead to early errand running; in the case of Costco, that means getting first crack at the samples before the herds start filing in! Yum! I tried some delicious pasta which ended up in my cart not long after I finished my first bite.
She really likes her new bowling set.
Instead of rolling the ball, she walks up to the pins with the ball in her hand, and punches them all down!
She'll knock down a pin and then we'll all clap
Proud of herself :)
Just when I thought I had forgotten what it was like to change a juicy, blown out diaper, Zoey's body did me the generous favor of reminding me...twice! I think it might have been a reaction to the vaccines, but whatever it was, it really did a number on her system. Her cute new green pants, her new flower tunic, and the changing pad cover all fell victim to the runny mess! (Don't worry, I didn't take a picture of it!)
Getting some shopping done after the second diaper change.
Looks like we're going to have to have a conversation about wearing clothes while shopping, before I can let her loose in Safeway...
Offering Kiwi a leaf that she found
So, although it's not the most stylish hat ever, I am really happy with this Costco purchase. It was only $8.99, it has a wide bill, and it covers her ears and the back of her neck. It also has a drawstring in the back that allows the hat to fit kids from infancy, up to age 6! I can totally see her wearing this on super hot days, when the sun is beating down on us, and she needs a bit more coverage than her cute sunhat can provide. Solid investment; go Me! ;)
After just a few days of ownership, Zoey can now ride her motorcycle...backwards!
I'm sure she'll figure out how to move forward soon, but for now, Beep...Beep...Beep! (That's the sound of her backing up)
For when she needs help going forward.
(Notice that they're matching! Too cute :)

No comments:
Post a Comment