Thursday, December 6, 2012

Ohio Surprise

Surprise! We're in OHIO!

We woke up at 3 a.m. this morning, were out of the house by 4:45, dropped off the car at Park 'n' Jet, and were at the airport with plenty of time before our 7:20 flight. Other than my mom, who was on a separate flight and would be meeting us there, only a few people knew about this trip. We wanted to surprise my grandma (along with other relatives) and couldn't wait to see the look on her face as she met her great granddaughter, and grandson-in-law (my hubby :), for the very first time! 

Zoey did very well on the plane; she actually slept for a good portion of flight. When she was awake, she was really pleasant and even charmed the people sitting next to us...and the flight attendants...and other passengers making their way to and from the bathroom! :)

Happy as a clam; oblivious to what was actually going on.

Still in her jammies, she was ready to get the trip underway!

Due to cost and convenience, we all actually flew into Detroit instead of Ohio. Once there, we met my mom at the rental car office, loaded up our snazzy SUV, and made the nearly hour long journey to Toledo. After checking into our hotel, we headed across the street to the Texas Roadhouse restaurant and discussed how we were going to surprise my grandma. She, and everyone else,  knew that my mom (and my Uncle, who flew in on yet another separate flight) was coming, so it wasn't too much of a stretch when my grandma called and my mom told her to just come to the restaurant where she was "having a drink". 

My heart was pounding as we waited for my grandma and her husband, Ron, to arrive. When they finally came into view as they walked towards us, the look that slowly came across my grandma's face was priceless! As she realized what, or rather, who she was seeing, she gave my mom a look that asked "Is this really happening?!" When she got closer, I walked toward her and gave her a huge hug! Fortunately, there was a row of chairs next to where were standing and I was able to sit her down as she whispered "I think I'm going to pass out!"

I finally felt like I could breath again! We had made it, the surprise was a success, and we were able to start enjoying each other!

Right after greeting each other.
We didn't even make it back to our booth before we started snapping pictures!

After our small reunion/introduction, we headed over to my grandma's brother's house, to see more of the family. The stunned expressions and squeals of joy continued once we walked inside! It had been years since the last time I was in Ohio, so I kind of got to share in the feeling Michael had as he got introduced to everyone. He got a lot of "It's so great to meet you"s, while I got plenty of "I remember you from when you were (insert younger age/shorter height)"s and "Do you remember me? I'm 'so-and-so'"s. 

Hanging out, watching basketball.
Michael got a king's welcome; TV tray set up, a plate of food and a cold beer delivered right to his comfy seat!

My grandpa, who also knew we were coming and made the drive over to see us, got to meet Zoey for the first time! 
I adore my grandpa and it was great to see him adore Zoey! :)

Phew! What an emotionally exciting and exhausting day! We are in town until the 10th; let the fun begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment