Sunday, December 2, 2012

Tree Farm

We went to the Christmas tree farm today, and although it wasn't the ideal experience, I tried to just roll with it.

First of all, after debating over which farm to go to, my husband got his way and we ended up at a farm not far from our house. I had wanted to go to the farm we went to last year, but the fact that this new farm was closer, was the deciding factor. I just knew it wasn't going to be as good as last years farm, and I was partially right. 

Just judging from the view from the car as we drove up, the trees didn't look all that impressive (my negative attitude definitely contributed to the way I perceived them!) And, not only did they not offer cookies, but they didn't have hot cider either! To make matters worse, it started raining shortly after we started our search! 

After frantically finding a few possible contenders, my mood started to change and things were looking up. Once we finally found the one we wanted, the few perks of the tree farm started to become evident...

1) Before cutting the tree's trunk, Michael put down the carpet square the owners had given us, so that his knees wouldn't get dirty. 

2) After carrying the tree back to the office, they placed it in a tree shaker!
(Unfortunately, there's also a negative here: last year's tree farm had wagons to transport the trees on! This year's tree was really heavy; a wagon would have been great)

The tree shaker was definitely my favorite thing about the farm. After placing the trunk in the hole on top of the machine, holding it tightly, the girl pressed a button and the tree began to shake violently. All of the loose needles and unwanted leaves and bugs, didn't stand a chance! As everything went flying off of the tree, I realized that maybe the new farm wasn't so bad after all. My husband is lucky I have such a strong dislike for excessive pine needles and little creepy crawlers! 

She had the best view!

We found our tree!

"What is this giant green thing, and why are we so excited about it?"

Making sure it's good enough to come home with us

We found a baby tree, for the baby :)

Sittin' pretty

Doin' work!

Doing my part :)

When we got home, we set the tree up in the garage because we still weren't completely sure where it was going to go (and I also wanted to give the bugs one last chance to evacuate!). It was then that I realized how HUGE the tree is. I don't know how it's never got discussed, but now there are only a few places where it will fit, so that'll make the decision a little easier!

What were we thinking??

No comments:

Post a Comment