Taking a break from sharing her bag of frozen veggies.
Last night, Michael had a "Guy's Night" with his friend Sean, and spent the night at Sean's place in Seattle. There was supposed to be another friend joining them, but when he cancelled, they decided to go forward with the plans. (despite me teasing that they were going on a "man date" ;).
I was glad Michael got to have a fun, care-free night with a friend, but was even more glad to see him walk in the door this morning. Although I was happy to see him, I got really giddy at the sight of the Trophy Cupcakes box he was holding!
I guess it's true what they say, "Absence makes the heart grow fonder"? Either that, or he spent way too much money on beer last night?
No matter how much beer he drank, these Dark Chocolate Raspberry and Red Velvet cupcakes are enough to wipe away all of his wrong doings! YUM!
Speaking of "wrong doings" (which made me think of "sin"), I want to share something that happened at mass tonight. I don't usually preach about my religious and political views (I like to think that my beliefs shine through my actions), but tonight I was was smacked with a real wake up call.
I am Catholic, have grown up in Catholic schools/churches, and have held onto my faith even during the times when I didn't attend church regularly. Well, it must have been my lack of regular attendance, that allowed me to forget that the Payers of the Faithful that are said each mass (after which, we say "Lord Hear our Prayer"), are written, in part, by members of the parish. Now I will admit, I have a tendency to say some of the obligatory mass responses without fully thinking about the words that are coming out of my mouth. Especially now that I'm trying to keep tabs on Zoey, I'm lucky if I get my response in on time, and not after everyone else has one quiet!
So, tonight my wake up call came when I realized I said my routine "Lord Hear Our Prayer" after the reader read the petition "And for all those suffering from same sex attractions". The rest was something like "may they be healed". I honestly don't remember the rest because after I heard "attractions", my brow furrowed and, before I knew it, I was asking the Lord to "Hear Our Prayer"!
Wake up, Dana! Wake up!
Ugh! That is SO not something I would ever prayer for! Now, I don't know proper church etiquette regarding this matter, but after I nudged Mike in his side and he reminded me who writes the petitions, I decided to say a private prayer for the person who submitted that particular one. I do not believe that gays/lesbians need to be "healed" of anything! And the only thing they may possibly be "suffering" from, is the lack of acceptance, and even sometimes blatant hatred, of those who choose to put them down! Grr! I know everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, and that by attending a Catholic church I am understandably surrounded by the beliefs that the religion itself expresses, but man, I am going to be much more attentive from now on!
I guess God knows what's in my heart and that's all that matters, right? Still, I wish the "controversial" prayers, could be kept as silent prayers...
I guess God knows what's in my heart and that's all that matters, right? Still, I wish the "controversial" prayers, could be kept as silent prayers...
No comments:
Post a Comment