Friday, June 22, 2012

Sad Hair Day

I know this isn't my first time posting a picture of Zoey on the baby monitor and it probably won't be my last. This morning was so nice and relaxing, that I couldn't help but stop and really take in what was happening. After Zoey's first wake up, I fed her and she went right back to sleep. I knew I had to pump some milk for later today, so I decided to force myself out of bed after she drifted off (usually, I go right back to sleep!). I made myself a cup of tea and, instead of pumping like I was supposed to, found myself sitting on the couch, watching the monitor. Every little stir made my heart jump. I remember thinking, "She's waking up! That means I get to go grab her!", and then "Wait, stay asleep! I haven't finished my tea yet!" She did stay a sleep long enough for me to finish my tea, pump some milk and even surf Facebook for a minute. For this morning, I am truly grateful :)

So much fun to watch :)

This afternoon I had a hair appointment and luckily Michael was more than happy to take a half day at work so he could come home and stay with Zoey. I was excited for this appointment because my stylist was going to be fixing a relaxer she had attempted the last time I went in. At my last appointment a few weeks ago, before applying the relaxer, we had to guess how much my hair had grown over the last 10 or so months. Well, we totally underestimated the growth and she didn't put enough relaxer on. When I got back to the chair after having my hair washed, most of it was straight (relaxed), but there was a good potion that was still curly. Oops. My pregnancy had really put my hair growth into overdrive! So, today I was going back in to get the rest of my hair straightened. 

After the chemical application, washing and rinsing, I returned to the chair to find that my hair still looked curlier than it should. My stylist seemed a little surprised as well, and suggested that my hormones are still out of whack and it might take more time for my hair to react normally. When I asked her how long she thought it would take, I was dumbfounded when she said possibly as long as 2 years. 2 YEARS! Are you kidding me? Now, anybody who knows me well, knows that my hair is very important to me and I don't particularly like change. But, it doesn't look like there is anything I can do about this. So for now, each time I get frustrated that my hair isn't as straight or silky smooth as it used to be, I'll just have to look at my baby girl and remind myself that she is well worth a bad hair day here and there. My hair straightener has always been my favorite appliance and it looks like we're about to form an even closer bond.

Now I've got thicker, poofier hair while Zoey has pretty, soft, stick straight hair

Hmmm, the little changes that no one mentions when they tell you what it's like to be pregnant and then a new mom. But I'll gladly take poofy hair, puffy eyes and constant brain farts, if that means the trade off is raising a healthy little girl :)

1 comment:

  1. I didn't notice poofy hair, it always looks so put together to me!

    ReplyDelete