Friday, August 24, 2012

Soggy Bottom Girls

So, on Tuesday, I noticed a wet spot on the carpet near the front door. Not knowing what it was from, I just assumed Michael had spilled some water and neglected to clean it up (wouldn't have been the first time!) Then, on Wednesday night, I noticed a different wet spot, in the same general area. I pointed it out to Michael and after confirming that the dogs hadn't been anywhere near that spot, we knew it was time to investigate. Michael went straight out to the garage (on the other side of the wall that the wet spots were closest to) and discovered a leaking valve on one of the pipes! It had leaked so much, that water was now seeping into the carpet and underneath the tile!! 

Grrr! After tearing the wall apart, it was clear that a plumber needed to be brought in...ASAP. And, not only was there a lot of water (it was creating puddles in the house...HELLO!), but there was also visible mold! :( :( :(

So much for using part of the garage sale money to get a new laptop...

When we woke up Thursday morning (yesterday), I got on Angie's List (such a great website, thanks Mom!) and found a well reviewed plumber; he was at the house within a few hours. That night, I did some reading up on mold and began to panic at the thought of Zoey breathing some of it in. We didn't know exactly how much there was, if it was toxic, or even if it was airborne, but I did know that as a mother, I couldn't risk my child getting sick. It was about midnight when Michael and I finished our discussion about what to do, and we came to the conclusion that Zoey and I would leave for my mom's house in the morning. I packed our bags and tried to get some sleep.

Fast forward to today...

I called my mom first thing this morning and told her what was going on. She didn't even need to hear all of the details; once she heard "mold", there was no question that we'd be coming over! After hanging up the phone, I got back on Angie's List and found a Mold Specialist. Once he and Michael were scheduled to meet at the house, I left Zoey in her pajamas, packed  up the Pack 'n' Play and her jungle mat...and off to Grandmother's house we went :)

Even Twinkle looked sad! :(

Well, even though we weren't at home, we did our best to keep with our normal routine. Tonight was bath night and that meant Zoey was going to have her first "sink bath". She was totally unsure about it at first (as was I; it was super slippery!)

We were cracking up because it looked like she was in a hot tub, the way she rested her arms on the counter!

"More bubbles please! And where are the jets?"

No comments:

Post a Comment