Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Diaper Hunt

 Today, Zoey and I went to Babies "R" Us on an outfit hunt, and then to Target, on a diaper hunt. At Babies "R" Us, we were in search of an outfit to get with the gift certificate that some family friends gave Zoey. They specifically requested that we use it to buy her a cute outfit, and I had no problem with that! After a lot of scouring through clearance racks and debating over regular priced items, I settled on a three piece set (two onesies and a pair of pants) and an adorable matching top and skirt. I love how many items of baby clothes you can get for $25; the same amount can hardly buy an adult a blouse! 

After loading up the car, I got a call from my agency. I did my best to suppress my nervous/excited energy as I answered the phone, hoping to hear the outcome of yesterday's audition. It was Andrew and he wanted to confirm that I was still available next Wednesday, Thursday and Friday! After confirming that I had care for Zoey, I told him that I was definitely still available. He said that was good and that he'd be in touch with further details! After hanging up the phone, I realized that I still wasn't 100% sure if I had gotten the job or not? He said he'd be calling back with details and that I should be hearing from the stylist soon... He also said that there might be a fitting this Sunday...

I called my mom to tell her the news and she said "What do you mean you're not sure if you got it?" I just couldn't get myself to fully believe it. I wanted to get excited about it, but I had been let down so many times before. I was expecting Andrew to say something like "Congratulations!! You booked a commercial!". But then I realized, that's what I wanted to hear, not necessarily what needed to be said. He was going to be in touch and I was going to wait to hear from the stylist. Oh.My.Gosh! I'm going to be in a commercial!! I can't wait to hear all of the details. They could put me in a garbage bag and have me play a homeless person in the background and I wouldn't care! I'm going to be in a commercial! :) :)

Fortunately, I still had some more shopping to do so I didn't have time to sit in the parking lot and dream up worst case scenarios of Andrew calling me back and admitting that he was just joking about the whole thing (wouldn't that be mean?!). It was off to Target. I had officially had enough of Zoey leaking through her diaper night after night; it was time to change things up. Pampers Swaddlers had been good to us, but with the giant gap between her lower back and the diaper, it was no wonder the things leaked!

Before I left the house, I did a little research on some mommy chat boards to see which diapers they were buzzing about. The consensus was that Huggies were terrible (they liked Huggies wipes though), Luvs were great for some, Pampers Swaddlers only work up to a certain age (for us that's 3 1/2 months) and Target's Up & Up brand were surprising awesome. So, what did I get? A pack of Luvs, a pack of Up & Up and a pack of Pampers Baby Dry (I figured I wouldn't completely give up on Pampers just yet). 

As soon as we got home, I tried one of each on Zoey. I made the mistake of not weighing her before starting my diaper hunt, so I got size 2 (12 to 16 lbs) in the Pampers and Luvs, and size 3 (16 to 28 lbs) in the Up & Up. My criteria for the diaper fit was that it be loose enough that it wouldn't leave deep red marks on her thighs, but that it be snug enough that it stayed up against her back while squirming AND seating. The Pampers and Luvs both had big gaps in the back when I sat her up and they felt a little small (I found out later that Zoey is 18 pounds, so it makes sense that the 2's weren't quite working. That doesn't explain the gap though...hmmm). Next were the Up & Ups. They were definitely bigger than the others, but I was able to get them snug around her legs and when I sat her up...NO GAP in the back! HOORAY! 

Leave it to Target to figure out that putting ruching in the back, causes the diaper to "hug" baby's lower back and help prevent leaks!

Sometimes you've got to try them all before you find "the one"

Now, to be fair to the other diapers, I am going to try the Pampers Baby Dry and the Luvs, in a size 3. Maybe all of the brands put ruching in the back of size threes, figuring that babies are more active at that stage and need a snugger fit? I have absolutely no problem using Target brand diapers, but I'm an equal opportunity diapering momma ;) (Plus, I love getting Pampers shipped right to my door, right on schedule...)

**Please note the unopened box of size 2 Pampers Swaddlers in the above picture. We had them on auto order, and a new box arrived right before I decided to make the switch! Oops :) Pretty sure they can be returned...I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment