Saturday, September 8, 2012

Let's Try This Again

Last night, I packed a bag for Zoey, a bag for myself, and everything that didn't sell at our garage sale, and headed over to my mom's house. We decided to try our hands at another sale, but this time, giving the lovely residents of Bothell/Lynnwood a shot at our goods!

Some things were oddly familiar about the setup of this sale...the signs not going up until the morning of, everyone waking up/arriving later than they swore they would, a mad dash to get everything thrown onto tables before the first eager customer arrived! One major difference between today's sale and the one at my house...we didn't have a single customer for over an hour after the sale "started". In my neighborhood, the bargain hunters had the nerve to show up 15 minutes early! In my mom's neck of the woods, not so much. After all of the hustle and bustle, we planted ourselves in our folding chairs and waited. And waited...and waited! Two of my mom's friends had also brought their stuff over and eventually, we started asking each other "what time is it?", "are you sure?", "oh, well where are all the people?!". It was like the garage sale gods were playing a mean trick on us!

After questioning the placement and visibility of my mom's signs, I pledged that if we still didn't have any customers by 10:30, I was going to put on the beer mug hat that I was selling for $1, and stand on the corner to attract customers. Lucky for me, our first patron arrived, just in the nick of time! And after one, came another. It was by finally asking a customer about the signs, that my mom found out that one of them was indeed pointing THE WRONG WAY! Oh boy, we were really on a roll!

After fixing the signs, more and more people started to show up. It still wasn't like our previous sale, but at least people were buying things. Two of our best customers were actually owners of a nearby antique shop. They were looking for items to turn around and sell in their shop. They bought a bunch of my mom's jewelry and some silverware that I was selling. Some other customers included: the biker dude who, after snatching up a woman's belt, pulled out a white and baby blue wallet, with daisies on it (huh?!); the lady dressed in all denim who my mom tried to sell more denim to (but failed!); the man who kept trying to convince his wife to buy the digital camera I was selling (He kept asking her "camera? camera?" and she kept telling him "no". The wife always has the final word :); and finally, the woman who bought the movie my mom accidentally put out with the rest of the ones she had for sale! (If anyone has a copy of "Frozen" that they're looking to get rid of, my mom will gladly take it off your hands!)

Overall, it was a fun[ny] day. Even though we didn't sell everything, we spent the day in good company and left with more money than we started with :)

Miss Curious, hangin' out on Granny's lap

Trying on the Zumba hat Granny was trying to sell
(Why Granny bought it in the first place, the world may never know ;)

After loading all of my unsold junk back into my car, Zoey and I had one stop to make before our day was done. My aunt and uncle were having a BBQ and I told them we'd stop by. Knowing that I wouldn't be staying long, they had food packed up and ready for me when I arrived! We chatted for a bit, they held Zoey and showed her off to their friends, and then it was time for us to go. I wanted to keep Zoey's bedtime schedule, and I came pretty close. 

Finally home, after a long day!

She did a great job today and I think we were both happy to be home :)

No comments:

Post a Comment