This morning, Zoey and I had to wake up, and stay up, with Daddy so we could get to her 6 month check up. Normally, she'd be back to sleep by 8:00ish, and I'd be struggling to decide whether I should start my day or sleep for just a little longer (which always ends up being until Zoey wakes up again). Today, however, we were dressed and in the car by 8:35! Yay us!
Sleepy Buggie, undoubtedly wondering why she's in her car seat at 8:30 in the morning and not still asleep in her warm crib.
One of my favorite parts of the visit, actually takes place before the visit really even starts: the weigh in. Before, we used to just look forward to seeing how much Zoey was going to weigh, and finding out who had made the closest guess (Michael won again! He guessed it exactly!?). Now, due to her ever-growing curiosity about EVERYTHING, it is hilarious to watch Zoey "lie" down on the scale. I can see how she would be skeptical about being placed up high, on a cold and unfamiliar surface. But the fact that she flexes her stomach muscles and lifts her head up to keep tabs on us and, more specifically, the nurse...that is totally Zoey Rae! I'm sure other babies do something similar, but Michael and I were cracking up watching her personality shine so brightly!
This sums her up pretty perfectly!!
Curious, nosy, strong, smart, funny, *heavy* ;)
"Hmmmm, what cool things can I grab?"
"I'm just kidding! I wasn't really going to grab anything!"
Yeah right! She had the cord for that light the doctor uses to check your eyes, in her hand before we could even blink!
The appointment went very well. Zoey is 20 lbs 9.5 oz and 27.5 inches long. Dr. Mendoza pointed out that she is very active and seems to be doing a great job exploring her environment. He gave us the green light on continuing to introduce foods (next up is applesauce) and even humored Michael as he tested him on the nutritional value of breast milk vs formal, the fat content in breast milk, why we shouldn't introduce yogurt and cow's milk until 1 year, organic vs non-organic and the desire to make all of Zoey's baby food (as if he's the one in the kitchen making it! Ha!). After getting all of his questions answered, it was time for us to gear up for Zoey's shots. Even though they obviously hurt her, her pain appears to dissipate very quickly, whereas we will go on forever, talking about how difficult it was to watch and how sad it makes us! Zoey got 4 shots today, including her first flu shot, and one dose of an oral vaccine. She did very well and totally deserved the sticker she would have gotten, had she been old enough to appreciate it, and not eat it.
Reunited with her favorite toys.
(That jungle mat really was a great investment! Some of her favorite toys are the ones that used to hang from it.)
It didn't take long at all before our day went back to "normal". Miss Thang let out a nasty, juicy toot and, once again, I had to change a barely full diaper because, now that she's sitting up, the poo shoots straight up and out out!
Juicy Poop, dangerously close to her shirt!
I never thought I'd say this...but I think I'm ready for the poop "nuggets" that I know are eventually coming. I'm assuming the nuggets are going to be much easier to clean up than this sauce!
(Sorry for all of the poop talk...and for likening it to items found on a fast food menu)




No comments:
Post a Comment