Thursday, October 18, 2012

Hammerschlagen

The traditional Fall events just keep on coming! Today, after a little more dress shopping (with no success), Zoey and I joined Michael at his work for their annual Hammerschlagen event. For those of you who don't know what Hammerschlagen is, here is my brief, layperson description: A traditional Oktoberfest game during which people (usually slightly, or completely, inebriated) try to hit their assigned nail into a log or stump, using the thin side of a hammer head. Your nail must be hammered in completely, flush with the log, in order to win.

Michael is on the leadership council at work, so he was one of the employees responsible for putting on the event. Although no one was drunk, his coworkers were enjoying a few beers as they played and chowed down on some yummy bratwursts. It was hilarious, watching everyone try to hit their nails, all in an effort to win one of two prizes. The grand prize was a flask, in the shape of a hammer! The runner up received a bottle of beer, in a Lederhosen shaped can/bottle sleeve! Judging by how serious everyone was taking the game (some tried to act like they didn't care, but you could see the intensity in their eyes, and their swing!), I think the most coveted prize is actually the bragging rights the winner gets for the next year. 

It's always a good time with the Parametrix crew. Everyone was very excited to see Zoey and no one even minded when she started shouting as people were trying to focus on hitting their nails. I was worried she was going to get us kicked out! When the festivities were over, I grabbed a few brats to go (easy dinner tonight; woohoo!) and we headed home to wait for Mike.

Big girl, in the stroller, without the car seat! She was much happier like this while in the dressing room, and I was happy I didn't have to put her on the floor.

In preparation for me being gone on Saturday night (at Michael's work party), Zoey has been using the bottle for some of her meals this week. Tonight, as we were getting ready for bed, I apparently wasn't moving fast enough, and she grabbed the bottle from me! She stuck it right in her mouth, as if she feeds herself all the time, and started laughing gleefully!


Forget washing my face...Give.Me.Milk!

She didn't actually start drinking from it until she was in position, laying on the Boppy pillow, but she knew the goods were in there.

This feeding went flawlessly, but she is still hit or miss with the bottle. It always seems to go better when I bottle feed her (likely due to the familiar touch, sights and smells), but she is getting better with Daddy and Granny. Hopefully, practice makes perfect and tomorrow night goes this well (fingers crossed). 

No comments:

Post a Comment