I'm still practicing a few words in sign language with Zoey. I mostly do "milk", but also try to remember to do "finished/all done" and "more". While at the play date last week, my girlfriend mentioned that she has taught her son "stop". The more I thought about it, the more I realized that there are many instances where "stop" would come in handy throughout the day. So, after double checking that I had the sign right, I waited for an opportunity to introduce it. It didn't take long at all.
When I change Zoey on the changing table, she always squirms and wiggles, in an effort to reach her washcloth, which is usually draped over one of the railings. As soon as she started doing that today, I signed "stop" and said it in a firm voice. I made sure to follow it up with a "thank you" and a smile, just so she wouldn't get the vibe that I was upset. It only took a few times before I started to notice a change in her behavior!
I've known for a while now, thanks to what I learned in my education classes, that I want to focus more on giving my children directions, instead of just shouting "NO" all the time. I want to do my best to remember to tell Zoey what I'd like her to do, instead of only saying "no" or only telling her what not to do.
Example:
Instead of saying "Don't play with that!", it'd be "Please find something you're allowed to play with" or "Find a toy to play with instead".
I know from trying to talk to my students this way, that it is difficult and takes LOTS of practice! Sometimes a situation calls for a good, loud "NO!" But, whatever I choose to say, I want it to have some direction to it. If I just say "no" all the time..."no" what? But if I can say "stop" or "do (...) instead", or even "no" followed by what I want, then there won't be any confusion as to what I want Zoey to do. There won't be any reason for her to say "I didn't know" or "you didn't tell me I couldn't". I've heard that many times in the classroom; sly little boogers! And then when I ask "What did I just tell you?", she should be able to repeat my expectation.
Anyway...it'll be a while before she can understand all of that, but I don't think it's too early to let her know when I don't like something she's doing. I can already see it now (cue daydreaming sound effects)...no more pulling Mommy's hair, no more sending the placemats (and everything else on the table) to the floor, no more kicking while I'm trying to put her diaper on!
Hey, I can dream, right?
Nothing better than scooping up a happy baby in the morning!
First thing I noticed about this picture is that her baby belly is camouflaged! ;)
BTW, these are 9 month jammies and there's already not much room to grow! These are my favorite (we have them in every size thus far) and they stop at 9 month :(
Her right hand is on the door, which she has taken to grabbing while I'm trying to comb her hair.
(Another opportunity to test out the word, and sign for, "stop")
Another craving brought to fruition!
Pre-made pizza dough, homemade white sauce, shredded chicken, artichoke hearts, mushrooms and mozzarella cheese.
Find my recipe here.



No comments:
Post a Comment