Thursday, October 25, 2012

Library

I have been wanting to get Zoey out and meeting other kids for a little while now, so when I found out that our local library puts on a storytime every Thursday, I couldn't wait for today to arrive! It said on the library website that storytime starts at 10:30 and goes for 20 to 60 minutes.  Well, Zoey and I are still a long way away from having a rigid daily routine, and today, she decided to eat and take a nap at 10. I had no idea how long she was going to sleep, but because the library is literally up the street from us, I wasn't too worried about getting there on time.

It was already 10:50 by the time she woke up and as we took off down the road, I prayed that today was a 60 minute session. We got there at about 10:55, to find 3 mother/children pairs and a friendly looking group leader. When we entered the room and headed toward them, I could see a kind, but hesitant look on the leader's face. She greeted us and then informed me that we had arrived just in time to help clean up! NOOO! As the clean up song boomed from the CD player, I bounced Zoey on my lap and tossed a few toys into the toy bin. What a bummer.

After all the mommies left, I introduced Zoey and myself more formally and asked if story time usually ends at 11. She said it does and that the activities they do depend on the age range of the kids present. The ones who attended today were all over a year old and didn't feel like sitting for songs and stories...hence all of the toys scattered around. I told her we'd be back next week, and hopefully right at 10:30 (no promises!).

Not to waste a trip to our new neighborhood library, Zoey and I stopped in the children's section and took a look around. After playing with a puzzle (that I didn't even really want her touching; Germ City!!), one of the mother's from the story time group kindly pointed out that the library offers "Baby Packs". On a nearby shelf there were a bunch of pre-packed bags, each one full of about five baby books, one parent book and a baby music CD! What a cool idea. We looked through a couple and found one with books that we didn't already have at home. Again, the germaphobe in me was screaming "Germ City! Don't let anything touch her mouth (and preferably not her hands, either!)!!", but I decided to take the pack home and give it a shot. After getting a brand spankin' new Pierce County library card, we were checked out and on our way! 

That poor T-Rex didn't stand a chance!
(BTW, how young is too young for mouthwash??)

Excited to take home our first Baby Pack!

No comments:

Post a Comment