So, those who know me well may call me a procrastinator, but I simply like to think that I just work better under pressure. For example, today is Thursday and I spent a good portion of the day searching for a dress to wear to a wedding we're attending...this Saturday!
The trouble with this dress is that there are a few new requirements that my previous dresses have never had to meet before.
1) I am a mom now. Although I'm still young, I don't want to make the mistake of wearing something that is undoubtedly age appropriate, but potentially inappropriate now that I've entered motherhood. (Not to say that I can't still rock a hot dress, but maybe not at a family event, while holding my baby girl!)
2) I am a mom who's nursing. It is absolutely out of the question to purchase a dress that would also need to come with my own personal "unzipper", for when I needed to scoot off to the bathroom and feed Zoey. Nope, the neckline has to be stretchy and ideally, the fabric won't make me sweat too much (hormones are still out of whack and sweat comes easy these days! Appetizing, I know.)
3) Price. This is more of a self-imposed restriction. I would just so much rather spend money on cute clothes for Zoey, than on a dress that I probably won't wear again for a long time.
So, it was off to Southcenter for Zoey and I. I had already checked out JCPenney, Macy's, Express, Sears and Ross. Now it was time to hit up Nordstrom Rack and Kohls.
After striking out at The Rack, I was happy to at least have a handful of dresses worth trying on at Kohls. However, much to my dismay, nothing worked there either! The pressure that I usually worked so well under, was mounting, and I think Zoey could sense that I was getting worn out. She and I had scored the "handicapped" dressing room (I know a stroller isn't exactly a wheelchair, but I tell ya, trying to squeeze it into a standard dressing room is no fun!) and after tiredly putting the last dress aside, I was actually looking forward to changing her wet diaper!
So happy to be out of her car seat and stretching her legs
Once Zoey was all clean, I flipped her onto her stomach and drew her attention to the mirror in front of her. I then leaned back, took a few deep breaths and relaxed my entire body. I suddenly realized how nice it felt to be sitting down and decided that we were going to take advantage of our spacious room and just chill for a bit (No worries, the dressing rooms were practically empty; I wasn't keeping anyone from using our room).
Quietly checking herself out in the mirror
After a quick feeding, and a few more deep breaths, I gathered our things and reluctantly left the privacy of our temporary hideaway. I was leaving yet another store, empty handed and a bit panicked.
Tomorrow is my last day to find something to wear on Saturday. This ought to be interesting...


No comments:
Post a Comment