Thursday, November 29, 2012

Gas Rewards

While Zoey was taking her morning nap, there was a knock at the door. I asked who it was, and wasn't 100% sure of the response, but I opened the door anyway. A guy, whom I had never met, was standing there and immediately started rambling, telling me why he'd come. He told me that he had attended our yard sale over the summer. My first though..."Oh crap! Did we sell him something that broke right after he bought it, and now he's upset and wants his money back??". I started envisioning myself slamming the door on him if he decided he wanted to try to harm me. As I tuned back in to what he was saying, I realized that he wasn't angry at all. He explained that he had been thinking about our ATV since he saw it at the sale and was wondering if it was still available so he could give it to his kids for Christmas! He was so hopeful and I felt bad as I told him that we actually ended up selling it to someone down the road. He then apologized for dropping by and was on his way. Somehow, all this time, I had a feeling someone from that sale was going to come back and ask about something. Hey, maybe I'm psychic? ;)

She fussed with her hat some much, that it ended up over her face! 
She was NOT happy!

Now that Safeway is down the street from our house, we've abandoned our beloved Fred Meyer (which is now a good 15 minutes away) and have embraced the 'Way. This past week, all of our shopping paid off, in the from of a pretty hefty gas reward. We had earned $1.00 off per gallon of our next fill up!! My husband, as frugal as can be, came up with the bright idea to try to fill up both cars on the same transaction/pump. It took some convincing before I agreed to his little scheme (according to him, we had earned the reward, and we deserved to get the most out of it! True.). 

So, tonight I met him at the Safeway in Puyallup (b/c the one near us doesn't have a gas station attached! Boo!) and a hilarious little "dance" ensued. I was totally embarrassed as we tried to situate both of our cars so that the pump could reach both tanks. I had almost given up when Michael finally figured it out. He had me pull around to the other side (so that our cars were side-by-side, but with the pump between them) and when he finished filling his tank, he just stepped across and filled my, without missing a beat! I had never seen that done before, and was sure it was against the "rules". I kept discreetly checking on the teen-aged gas attendant, who never even looked up from his cell phone! Phew! It would have been really awkward explaining what we were doing, but it would have been worth it. Saving a dollar a gallon on gas, with Safeway's prices already much lower than the competition; woot woot! My husband's frugality, FTW! :)

Thankful, Day 29: I am thankful for the times when my husband won't take "No" for an answer and he ends up doing something great for our family. Between the two of us, I am typically the bold one, but every once in a while, he surprises me!   

1 comment: