Sunday, November 25, 2012

Panic

One of Zoey's new favorite things to do, is to crawl over to a dining chair and pull herself up. Once she's up, she just kind of hangs out, and sometimes she bounces! I'm not sure if she's dancing (we have music playing all day) or if she's just testing out what her legs can do; probably a little bit of both. Either way, it is so cute and hilarious! Just seeing how excited she is to be standing, gets us excited for her!

She bends her knees...

And then springs back up, onto her tippy toes! 

We knew she was strong, but dang! She tore that sucker right off!

Today was a pretty productive Sunday. After checking a few chores off of his list, Michael showed me how to use the weed whacker, and set me loose on the jungle on the side of our house! I had been wanting to attack the overgrown weeds for a while, and with my eye and ear protection on, I was unstoppable! It was so fun and I can't wait to get back out there and finish the job.

Dinner time was when things started to get a little crazy around here. I made steaks for dinner and was so excited to eat mine, that when I chomped down on my first bite, my teeth hit and I chipped a tooth! Talk about intense shock and pain! I jumped up and ran into the bathroom to check out the damage. Thankfully, it didn't look as bad as it felt, but I was/am still super annoyed. Not only do I hate anything coming between me and a good steak, but I also absolutely despise going to the dentist! That's a call I'm dreading having to make in the morning...

After dinner, as I was getting Zoey ready for bed, she began to put up a fight while taking her vitamins. She kept trying to grab the dropper and was getting the caramel colored liquid everywhere! Once I finally got the dropper in her mouth, I squeezed a good amount in there and was relieved to have it over with. Well, instead of swallowing, she continued to fuss and started choking! I began to panic and immediately yelled for Michael to come upstairs. He raced into her room where I was patting her back as she struggled to catch a breath. Trying not to focus on how bad I felt, I watched helplessly as Michael began pounding on her back. What an awful sight!! We knew that for infant CPR you have to hit the baby's back really firmly, but man, it's a whole different story when you actually have to do it! After a few good hits, I grabbed the nasal aspirator and began suctioning out the thick mucus Zoey was coughing up. She was hysterical and I was on the verge of tears (panic and fear were the only things holding them back). Eventually, although still crying, she was coughing and swallowing in a way that assured us that her airway was clear. 

My heart was still racing as I took Zoey in my arms and rocked her gently. I could think of nothing else to do but keep apologizing and kissing her tear stained face. Needless to say, she was exhausted once she finally calmed down, and once I began nursing her, it wasn't long before she was sound asleep.

Thankful, Day 25: I am thankful that tonight's choking incident didn't become more serious, that we acted quickly and that Zoey is OK. As scary as it was, it was also a valuable experience and a lesson learned!

No comments:

Post a Comment