Friday, November 30, 2012

Old Friends

This afternoon, Zoey and I traveled to West Seattle to visit with an old friend of mine who is in town for a few days. My friend Adrianne and I met in first grade (she always loves to tell people about that day and my 3 ponytail hairstyle!), and we've been friends ever since. After high school, we lost touch for a bit; I moved to Spokane to attend Gonzaga, and she eventually moved to Ohio to pursue her love of equestrian studies. I was so glad to hear that she was coming into town, and even more excited when I realized that visiting her meant going back to West Seattle! 

Driving up to her parents' home brought back so many good memories; jumping on her trampoline, learning to toast bagels in a frying pan, eating roasted pumpkin seeds, attending high school football games, discussing boys and prom dresses! I didn't realize it until I was standing on her porch, juggling Zoey and my umbrella, but I hadn't thought about what I expected Adrianne to be like after all that time apart. We really hadn't spoken in years, except for a few times via Facebook. But, the fact that we were both so excited to see each other was all I needed to remind me that we were still friends and that's all that mattered. 

Her dad answered the door and when she came around the corner, she looked just like the Adrianne I remembered, and, aside from a slight Mid-West accent, she sounded the same, too. I wish I could say that we talked like we hadn't missed a beat, but it did take a little warming up. We both took turns catching each other up on our lives, and before long, the familiarity had returned and we were laughing hysterically about things we used to do and people we used to know. 

Our reunion was so much fun and I hope it won't be so long before we see each other again!! 

Zoey and Adrianne took to each other right away!

Thankful, Day 30: I am thankful for old friends and various ties back to the place where I grew up. Every time I go back to West Seattle, I am flooded with great memories and never want to leave!

No comments:

Post a Comment