Friday, January 4, 2013

9 Months Old

My silly, sweet, snuggly girl is 9 months old today! 

At 9 months she:
-Can stand (balance) without holding on to anything!
-Is getting a solid sleep schedule down (Roughly 8pm to 8am)
-Has two teeth!
-Is exploring finger foods
-Mimics "Uh-oh" 
-Has met Santa, and celebrated her first Christmas and New Year!
-Likes to shout, excitedly, when we're out in public (sometimes this is super embarrassing!!)
-Likes to shout, out of frustration, when we're out in public (this is always super embarrassing!!)
-Likes To Shout!!
-Loves to dance and sing (she mimics her Granny's singing; Lord help us all! ;)
-Has been out of state for a third time (Idaho, Montana and now Detroit/Ohio!)
-Is still very much "on the go", all the time!
-Likes to throw and drop things.
-Enjoys playing Peek-a-boo with her daddy.
-Is aware of the fact that she makes us laugh. 

~~~

I was up at 3:00 AM this morning, getting ready to take my mom to the hospital. Her check-in time was 6:00 AM and she headed into surgery at around 7:30. I was able to meet many of her nurses, and her doctor, and everyone was very nice. I was a little nervous when it was time for us to part ways, but also felt that she was in good hands. 

At about 3:20 AM, sleeping peacefully.

Keeping Granny's spirits up before her surgery :)

Shoving a spoonful of applesauce against her face!
We kept busy by playing in the waiting room, chatting with other "caretakers", watching the screen that tracked my mom's progress/location, making a few trips to the Safeway across the street and napping (Zoey, not me. I wish I could have!)

The whole procedure took close to 4 hours (I was given an estimate of 2 to 5), and I was extremely happy when the doctor came to deliver good news. She said that everything had gone well and my mom was doing fine. At that point, I still had to wait for her to be moved from Recovery 1 to Recovery 2, before I could see her. About an hour and a half later, the nurses finally wheeled her out on her bed and we all rode the elevator up to the second recovery room. Upon seeing us for the first time, even though she was still pretty groggy, my mom raised her hand to Zoey's head and said "Hi, Buggy!". It was such a relief to hear her speak; she was fine and everything was going to be OK!

I stayed by her bed for a couple of hours while she slept, and then had to head home for a short visit with my in-laws. They were dropping of Michael's brother for the weekend, and wanted to see Zoey for a little bit. I did my best to play hostess, but really I just turned Zoey loose, popped in a pizza and did a few loads of laundry. The visit flew by, and before I knew it, I was packing up and heading back to the hospital. My mom was awake when we got there and, although still very tired, was in good spirits. I was happy to fulfill her request for pretzel M'n'Ms, and even threw in some fresh fruit and water (Best nurse ever, remember?!) 

It was close to 10 PM when Zoey and I left the hospital for the night. When we got to the outdoor entrance of the parking garage, I was shocked to see that the gate was down and the garage was closed! Fortunately, there was a buzzer, for after hours emergencies, and the operator agreed to send a security guard to let me in. As I stood waiting, a drunk man, who'd been standing on the corner, approached me and slurred something like "Looooksss like you...you're having trouble with...you need to get to ur caaar". Not knowing if he was a violent drunk or just a harmless drunk, who'd been separated from his group, I took a deep breath, looked him right in the eyes and asked him to please leave me alone! After telling him that was not at all in the mood to be bothered, he promptly apologized and wished me luck with my situation (Phew, a harmless drunk!). Just as he walked away, a car came out of the garage, which raised the gate, allowing me to scurry inside. Even though I wasn't out there for too long (the security guard arrived seconds after I was let in) it felt like forever because all I wanted to do was get Zoey to the car safely and keep her warm!

Man, oh man! What a day! 

In the elevator, on our way out of the hospital. She was a real trooper today!

No comments:

Post a Comment