Thursday, January 17, 2013

Her First Cold

OK, it's official. My baby has her first cold. :(

She was tossing and turning, and coughing throughout the night last night. And she woke up this morning with a snotty nose.

After throwing up her breakfast (3x in fact), I wiped her down and put her in a nice warm bath. Once she was calm, and clean, we tried eating again, and it was still tough for her. All of the crud in her nose was making it hard for her to swallow and breath at the same time. I took her temperature and was relieved that she didn't have a fever. After a short nap and a heartbreaking battle over the use of the bulb syringe (I felt like a terrible person, forcing that thing up her nose!), I was ready to curl up in a corner and cry.

Watching Zoey struggle is probably the hardest thing I've ever been through. She is usually so  happy and carefree, and in no way deserves to be sick like this! (what kid does, right?!). She still had some very happy moments today (she still laughed, played and cruised around the kitchen), but most of that was overshadowed by her discomfort and my frustration. I did my best to keep a smile on my face, but failed, many times. I just want my healthy baby back, asap!

Uncomfortable, but happy. 
Her mouth has been hanging open all day because she can hardly breath through her nose.

Before bed, I steamed up the bathroom and we sat together, hoping to loosen up all of the gunk in her little nose and throat. I held back tears as I rocked her and listened to her pant; I hate feeling so helpless!

Exhausted and ready for bed.


(Something that did make me smile today, was ordering my NoseFrida Snotsucker from Amazon! I can't wait for it to arrive--but I'll have to b/c I couldn't get myself to pay $17 for overnight shipping!--)

No comments:

Post a Comment